Saturday, March 7, 2009

Next Quest (not sure which number it should be)

Jared, Aaron, and I started looking for resources related to language arts, more to check the feasibility of it. I started looking in the OER Recommender (which I highly recommend) and my hopes grew. When I began looking for resources, I found a very few items that were actually usable because they weren't actually open (even with those license options selected within Google). As I began searching using OER Recommender, however, the materials I found were at least open. As I began looking for materials for the standards and objectives, I have been able to find some. I am not a pro yet, but I do enjoy looking for materials.

When I was teaching my ESL class, that is one thing that made be really excited - finding resources that would help my students improve their learning. I must confess that I was not as careful about copyright as I should have been, but as I have grown and matured, I have become a lot more careful. Mostly I just rationalized that it probably fell within the realm of Fair Use. However, as we are creating an Open Course, this is something that I must be more aware of (I think this is part of repentance, right?).

At first I didn't think I was going to be able to find anything useful for language arts, but after more searching and with the help of OER Recommender, I am way more hopeful. There are people who have provided resources openly. I am really excited by the possibility of designing something that will hopefully actually get used. If I know it is something beyond an academic exercise, it makes all the work worth it.

No comments: